Macs have a feature called “Internet Sharing” which lets a computer share its network connection with other devices nearby. This can be useful in the home but it causes havoc on the Informatics network, so has to be disabled.
Is Internet Sharing on Mac safe?
OIT testing of versions included with Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.7 shows that the feature is inappropriate for use on a computer attached to the campus wired or wireless network. OIT testing of the version included with Mac OS X 10.8 – 10.9 shows that the feature is safe if used with care.
People who use the same Mac with different user accounts can share files with one another using the computer’s Shared folder or using their individual Public and Drop Box folders. The computer’s Shared folder is located in Macintosh HD/Users.
How do I turn off Internet Sharing on my Mac?
In the Internet & Network section, double-click the Sharing icon.
- In the left-hand menu you will see a list of services. If the checkbox next to Internet Sharing is checked, uncheck it. This will disable Internet Sharing. …
- Close System Preferences.
What does Internet Sharing do?
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is a feature that allows a device with internet access to act as a host or access point for other devices to connect to the web.
Who is connected to my Internet for Mac?
First, open LanScan on your Mac. Click the Start LanScan button at the top left corner of the window. You’ll see a list showing all the devices connected to your network. You’ll see their MAC Addresses, IP Addresses, and even their hostname.
Who is connected to Mac?
See Users with Activity Monitor in Mac OS X
The simplest way to get basic user details is to use Activity Monitor from an Administrator user account. … Launch “Activity Monitor” in Mac OS X, found within /Applications/Utilities/ Click on “Users” to sort and group the list by users logged in.
Stop sharing a file
- Open the homescreen for Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, or Google Slides.
- Select a file or folder.
- Tap Share or Share .
- Find the person you want to stop sharing with.
- To the right of their name, tap the Down arrow. Remove.
- To save changes, tap Save.
How do I stop my iPhone from sharing my Mac?
Turn off Handoff on your devices
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch: Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff.
- Mac: Choose Apple Menu > System Preferences, click General, then deselect “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
1) Open Sharing preferences if it isn’t already open (choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing). 2) Select the Internet Sharing checkbox. 3) Click the “Share your connection from” pop-up menu, then choose the Internet connection you want to share.
How do I turn on Internet Sharing on Mac?
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Sharing , then select Internet Sharing in the service list. Click the “Share your connection from” pop-up menu, then choose the internet connection you want to share.
ARPANET arose from a desire to share information over great distances without the need for dedicated phone connections between each computer on a network.